a colorful life
how to find the right hues for your home
One of the most powerful forces in a room's decor is the color palette. Color evokes emotion and adds personality. It can be used to create the illusion of more space in a confined area, or it can create a cozy, intimate setting. Finding the right color can be a challenge, but we are here to share the secrets of how to do it right.
where to start:
- The best color schemes can be inspired by a single element: a sofa, a rug or a painting. Sometimes the color combinations might not seem obvious without that inspiration piece, but can produce delightful results.
- Consider how the room will be used, its size, the light sources and the mood you want to create.
- Lighting from lamps, fixtures or windows affects the way color works in a room. Examine fabrics and paint chips in artificial light as well as natural daylight to help make your choice.
- When planning large purchases, such as carpeting, wallpaper and large pieces of furniture, choose colors carefully because you will have these items in your home for a long period of time
- Take a look at color relationships in photography, public places, private homes, fabrics and even clothing. Outdoor, natural settings can be great inspirations for color combinations too.
- If you aren't completely confident about a color scheme, stick to neutral, simple colors when it comes to large, expensive purchases.